When I got the the summer dress code at my current job last I could have sworn it was written in 1962. 

Along with khakis and polo shirts, acceptable “business casual” wear includes: jumpers and culottes. Jumpers and culottes!

When was the last time anybody wore culottes, or even knew what they were? Now granted my portion of the office is generally casual-casual, because I have no air conditioning and Chicago gets rather hot and humid this time or year, so really I can wear pretty much anything within reason. 

But for those days when I feel like following the code, I could always pull out this jumper I made a few weeks back.

IMGP0852.JPG

Jumpers always make me feel a little like I’m five. Hence the theme of this particular bunch of photos.  Also, I’m running out of things to do in front of a blank white wall, so I’m up for any suggestions.

90-95-100 Ready or Not Here I Come!

This particular project had been sitting on a back burner for about 3 months, largely because I planned to make it out of this beautiful blue linen and I was afraid to cut into it. More to the point though, I wanted to change up the top a bit, and had little-to-no experience with pattern alteration.

The original pattern (McCalls 5577) looked like this:

Yes, I copied the color exactly. Not so creative I know. I loved the skirt of the thing, but the top seemed a little low, even if I was going to wear a shirt under it, and I didn’t quite get the v-shaped piece on the upper back. So I pulled out my ruler from my college scenic design class and wrapping paper and started drawing. I added about 2 inches (plus seam allowance) to the top lines of the top piece blending it in with the existing straps and leaving the bottom bit the same so it’d line up as per the original. Then I transferred it to muslin and sewed the top up.

I quickly discovered that I’d need some darts, which I also had no clue how to do and didn’t look up how to do until my next project. So I guessed and basted and ripped and guessed and basted until I came up with something that seemed to work. Of course, without the skirt bit attached I wasn’t sure how it would all hang, and sure enough when I made the actual jumper I totally had to move the darts and I’m still not sure they’re in the right place, but ah well it works.

IMGP0861.JPG

For the back straps, I took the existing lower straps and lengthened them to about 23″. Because of where they fell on the back of the jumper, I eschewed buttonholes and tacked the straps straight unto the dress, as well as securing them to the top of the back of the jumper. 

IMGP0880.JPG

All in all, it came out fairly well, though definitely not perfect. But to those seeking perfection, I say this:

IMGP0872.JPG

Advertisements