IMGP2759.JPG

I know I said my next sewing project would be a blouse, but I got distracted and had to make this dress first instead. I feel that the finished project is very Anthropologie-looking, so I tried to do my best Anthro-model impression above.

IMGP2763.JPG

I’ve been loving watercolor florals for some time now, and when I saw this silky print at JoAnn’s on my last visit I had to pick it up. I combined the fabric with Butterick 5028, a pattern that’s been languishing in my stash for at least four years, waiting for the right 6o-inch fabric.

IMGP2765.JPG

The pattern is all of three pieces, but I made a few mods, including lengthening the hem by about 1.5″ and changing the neckline to a scoop neck. Later when I remembered I don’t like scoop necks on me, I added the fabric loops to the front straps to change it up just enough to my liking. I still need to tack the loops down so they don’t slide up, but I’m very happy with the finished project.

IMGP2751.JPG

The fabric is nice and drapey, and despite being polyester (lined with yellow gingham in the bodice) it’s very breezy and comfortable. I will say that my last two experiences with poly (this and my Lady Grey lining) have not been the best for my machine. They’re so tightly woven that a very sharp needle is necessary. Lesson learned: universals no, sharps yes.

I also did my first attempt at a lapped side zipper using the instructions that came with the zipper, which I found very clear. My zipper’s a bit wonky at the top, but that’s because I didn’t line it up the best and this fabric didn’t deal well with seam ripping. I’d definitely do it again on another project.

IMGP2762.JPG

I definitely loved this pattern, and I think if I could find the right white 60-inch eyelet fabric I’d make another in a heartbeat, probably with the original v-neck front and sash.

IMGP2748.JPG

Another note, I like the drapy-ness of the back bodice on this one, but if you were concerned about bra straps showing, you could tack it together at the cross over point for something more stable. The back hem looks a little weird in this photo, I think because the weight of the fabric isn’t enough to counteract the pull of bodice or it’s static-y  or I could be standing funny- I’m not sure.

IMGP2756.JPG

Dress: Me-made

Butterfly-Wing Necklace: Birthday gift

Belt: from shirt I no longer have

Sandals: Born Concept

Advertisements